Frequently Asked Questions About the TOEFL® ITP Assessment Series
- What are the TOEFL ITP tests?
The TOEFL ITP tests measure English proficiency at the intermediate to advanced levels. They are composed of previously administered TOEFL paper-based test forms.
The exam uses an academic context to evaluate nonnative speakers' skills in:
- Listening Comprehension
- Structure and Written Expression
Multiple test forms exist, and the test can be administered throughout the year. Your institution orders the number of test books it requires from ETS or your ETS Preferred Associate. Once you receive the testing materials, you use your own staff and facilities to administer the test whenever you wish.
Institutions are licensed to administer TOEFL ITP tests to individuals or to groups. The time required for administration is approximately two hours for Level 1 (TOEFL ITP tests) and 1.5 hours for Level 2 (Pre-TOEFL Tests).
After the test, examinee answer sheets are returned to ETS or to your TOEFL representative for scoring. Scores are available approximately 3 – 7 days after receipt of the answer sheets.
Each section is scored separately to assist you in determining which skills need more work, enabling you to tailor learning activities to meet the needs of each student.
- Who should use TOEFL ITP tests?
The TOEFL ITP tests provide a convenient and affordable assessment of English-language proficiency for:
- Secondary schools
- Colleges and universities
- English-language programs
Although the test content is the same as in the paper-based TOEFL test, it is important to understand that TOEFL ITP tests are not used for the same purposes as the actual TOEFL test.
The TOEFL test is an official test administered by ETS under secure conditions. Its scores can be used by institutions to make important decisions, such as whether or not to admit a student. The TOEFL ITP tests, conversely, consist of previously administered TOEFL paper-based tests that your program administers for its own internal use.
- How should I use TOEFL ITP tests?
Your program should use TOEFL ITP tests to make internal decisions such as:
- Placing individuals in appropriate English courses
- Assessing progress
- Exiting a program
- Measuring a program's effectiveness
- Screening for exchange programs or scholarships
- Awarding academic credit
- Fulfilling a language requirement
- Assessing faculty or other professional-level staff
TOEFL ITP test scores should NOT be sent to other institutions.
- How can my program administer TOEFL ITP tests?
Multiple forms of the test are available, and customers can conduct testing throughout the year. ETS provides programs with manuals that contain thorough instructions on administering the TOEFL ITP tests. Each institution is responsible for keeping its test forms as secure as possible to maintain the integrity of the program. TOEFL ITP tests are to be administered only to students attending your own institution.
- Why are TOEFL ITP tests the ideal choice for my program?
The TOEFL ITP Assessment Series is the leading on-site testing program in the world. Every year, more than 1,500 institutions and agencies from around the globe administer 500,000+ ITP tests.
TOEFL ITP tests are ideal for your program because they are:
- Reliable, based on the TOEFL test, the most trusted English-language assessment in the world.
- Available on demand. YOU choose your test date.
- Convenient. You use YOUR OWN facilities and staff to administer the test, and return the materials to ETS for accurate scoring.
- Flexible, containing multiple test forms, allowing you to test throughout the year.
- Quick to deliver scores, doing so approximately 3 – 7 days after score sheets are received.
- Helpful in determining academic readiness and development needs.
- Motivational for students wishing to improve their English proficiency.